Open Source CASE Tools
Table of contents
UMLGraph - UMLGraph allows the declarative specification and drawing of UML class and sequence diagrams. The current features are part of an ongoing effort aiming to provide support for all types UML diagrams. An IEEE Software article titled On the declarative specification of models explains the rationale behind this approach. The tehnology behind UMLGraph was used to draw many of the diagrams appearing in the award-winning books Code Quality: The Open Source Perspective (Addison Wesley, 2006) and Code Reading: The Open Source Perspective (Addison Wesley, 2003). In addition, the UMLGraphDoc doclet included in this distribution automatically adds UML diagrams to javadoc documentation.
More about UMLGraph: UMLGraph
MetaUML - MetaUML is a GNU GPL MetaPost library for typesetting UML diagrams, using a human-friendly textual notation.
MetaUML Live!, a tool to draw MetaUML diagrams interactively in the web browser, is currently offline due to hardware maintenance.
More about MetaUML: MetaUML
Chronos Web Modeller
Chronos Web Modeller - The CWT family includes the Chronos Web Modeller, a collaborative tool for the creation of UML models the integrated Chronos Web Browser for Model reporting
More about Chronos Web Modeller: Chronos Web Modeller
MetaBoss - As the business owner, you want the fruits of your IT investment to last longer and not be trapped in expensive and never-ending software redevelopment cycle. One of the underlying principles MetaBoss is built on is that the business domain and the business processes do not change as often and as radically as the information technologies do.
According to this principle, MetaBoss is facilitating the creation of software systems via technology independent modelling of business domains and processes.
More about MetaBoss: MetaBoss
Taylor MDA - Taylor's model driven architecture on rails makes creating JEE applications as easy as the much talked about ruby-on-rails, but with all the power of JEE and UML. Business models are defined using simplified UML diagrams following well-defined conventions. These models are then used to generate the exact same ejb3/portlet code your would write by hand. Then use the code as is or modify it as you see fit and your changes will be preserved.
Taylor consists of a set of Eclipse plugins for simplified UML modeling and the generation of JEE code such as: EJB3 entity and session beans, JSR-168 Portlets, and JMS-based business processes. It leverages many other open-source tools instead of reinventing the wheel. Read more about the Architecture.
Why did I write Taylor? Check out my blog entry.
Taylor implements MDA. Model Driven Architecture (MDA) is the concept of first defining a Platform Independent Model (PIM) and then using the PIM to generate a Platform Specific Model (PSM). Taylor's simplified UML business models represent the PIM and its customizable templates generate the PSM.
Taylor also applies Convention-based Development. There are many ways to build the same application. But, if proven conventions are followed then code generation and development can be much more productive and can put you on the fast track to success. Hence MDA on rails. Taylor's simplified UML models embody these conventions.
Taylor distingishes itself from other tools by three key concepts:
More about Taylor MDA: Taylor MDA
A6fw - a6fw is a Java framework for the rapid development of a rich GUI web client and/or rich GUI windows client, OLTP type applications using Model Driven Architecture (MDA) and declarative principles. It consists of modular pluggable application layers (UI, network, business layer, server layers) which can be combined, substituted, and scaled to meet the demands of the specific application being built.
More about A6fw: A6fw
Mdarad - Mdarad stands for "Model Driven Architected Rapid Application Development". It is a combination of MDA and ARAD. In other words, it is a collection of tools used to generate end to end applications from a simple modeling diagram (UML and such).
More about Mdarad: Mdarad
Openmdx - openMDX is a open source MDA application framework. The framework helps you in writing service-oriented, platform-independent applications.
The application's interface is specified with a platform independent model (PIM) and the business logic is implemented as POJOs (plain old Java objects) which are platform-, distribution- and persistence-technology independent. The application can be deployed locally or distributed by using the RESTful, JDO compliant openMDX persistence manager. The resulting applications are lightweight (openmdx-base.jar is only 2.9M) and can be deployed on any J2SE or J2EE platform.
- Here is how you get started in 2 easy steps
- Download and install the openMDX SDK. The SDK includes the demo applications Hello World and Workshop.
- Consult the openMDX documention where you will find step-by-step guides and additional information.
More about Openmdx: Openmdx
Xcarecrows 4 MDA
Xcarecrows 4 MDA - Xcarecrows 4 MDA , Eclipse plugin provides a graphical tool set to design system or application models according to the MDA process defined by the Object Management Group. It focuses on the quality of the behavior modeling and automaticaly converts models into executable components whose interfaces with the environment are well-defined.
More about Xcarecrows 4 MDA: Xcarecrows 4 MDA
Dzine - Dzine is an Open Source CASE tool for OOAD. Draw use case ,interaction ,class ,deployment ,ER Diagrams. Code generation in C++ and java. Normalise your ER diagrams and generate SQL code. Reverse engg design from code. Just put in your Java or C++ code and generate class diagrams. Easiest way to obtain design from code
More about Dzine: Dzine
GWT UML - Smart, fast and easy online UML drawing using GWT by Google.
More about GWT UML: GWT UML
Papyrus for UML
Papyrus for UML - Papyrus is a dedicated tool for modelling within UML2. This open source tool is based on the Eclipse environment.
- Eclipse UML2 compliance
- Full respect of the UML2 standard as defined by the OMG
- Full respect of the DI2 (Diagram Interchange ) standard
- Extendable architecture of Papyrus that allows users to add new diagrams, new code generators, etc.
- Profile development support facilities for UML2 profiles
- Nested profiles support
More about Papyrus for UML: Papyrus for UML
ClassBuilder - ClassBuilder is freeware CASE tool targeted at the C++ developer, running on Win95/98/NT. It lets you create, manipulate and navigate classes, class relations, class members and class methods at a high level of abstraction trough a graphical user interface. Its rich feature list includes:
- Class and sequence diagram editing (UML), with automatic layout.
- Code generation to implement associations/aggregations, with navigation methods and iterators.
- Generation of Find methods on one to many associations/aggregations and Get/Set methods on members.
- Easy project tracking, shows progress of each node (Analysis, Design, Implementation, Test, Complete).
- Wizards to insert iteration loops and navigation paths into the code of methods.
- Code synchronisation with compile environment, changes made outside ClassBuilder are noticed and read back.
- When used together with MFC, code can be generated to serialise the data structure.
- Drag and drop support for: Adding a member to a class, adding arguments, changing the order of arguments, etc.
- Documentation generation in RTF and HTML, so the documentation is always in phase with the code.
- Changes made in the generated RTF documentation can be read back into ClassBuilder.
More about ClassBuilder: ClassBuilder
MOSKitt - Key functions
In order to support gvMÃ©trica, a model methodology approach has been used so that MOSKitt can support the following main tasks:
- Graphical editing of models.
- Persistence support.
- Teamwork and versioning of models support.
- Model Transformation, Traceability and Synchronization.
- Documentation and DDL Code generation using models as input.
- Development Process Support defined by gvMÃ©trica, guiding the users through the different steps they need to take to carry out their tasks.
More about MOSKitt: MOSKitt
Gaphor - Gaphor is an open-source UML tool for the GNOME desktop environment. Gaphor uses a UML 2.0 compliant data model, can import classes from Python source code and can export high quality graphic representations of the models.
Gaphor supports class diagrams, use case diagrams, action diagrams and component diagrams. It can export high quality SVG or PDF diagrams. It also includes XMI export.
It has a plugin infrastructure to ease the addition of functionality.
- Gaphor has a UML 2.0 compliant data model. This guarantees future compatibility with other modeling tools.
- The data model is developed in Gaphor itself!
- Diagram items can be used freely in every diagram. No restrictions what so ever.
- Support for stereotypes on classes, interfaces and packages graphically. You can define stereotypes for class types (e.g. Class or State assign them to the appropriate elements in your diagram.
- Classes support stereotype attributes. Extra stereotype information can be defined by setting attributes on the stereotypes.
- SVG, PNG, PDF diagram exports.
- Cross platform: Gaphor works on both Unix (including Mac OS X) and Windows.
- Stable file format. We warrant that older files will be readable by Gaphor.
- Plugin infrastructure makes Gaphor easy to extend.
- Class diagrams
- Component diagrams
- Use case diagrams
- Action diagrams
- Interaction diagrams
- State diagrams
More about Gaphor: Gaphor
Green UML - Green is a LIVE round-tripping editor, meaning that it supports both software engineering and reverse engineering. You can use green to create a UML class diagram from code, or to generate code by drawing a class diagram.
Green was developed with the pedagogical goal of focusing students on design. However green has proven to be a robust and flexible tool that can easily provide UML support in any environment.
All relationships are plug-in based extensions off of green. This means that at any time you can add your own relationships! This was added with the pedagogical goal of revealing relationships incrementally to students, and having green reflect only the relationships which our students have knowledge of!
The editor features a simple point-and-click interface. Right-clicking in the editor brings up a context-sensitive menu that includes features such as the refactoring and quick-fix functionality.
Green supports exporting files to both jpg and gif format, so that you can share you diagrams without any issues!
Green is an ongoing project at the University at Buffalo.
More about Green UML: Green UML
Topcased - TopCased is for:
- Critical systems Topcased is a software environment primarily dedicated to the realization of critical embedded systems including hardware and/or software.
- Modeling Topcased promotes model-driven engineering and formal methods as key technologies.
- Open-source Topcased is released as free/libre/open-source software by a group of partners from various organisations.
More about Topcased: Topcased
ArgoUML - ArgoUML is an open source UML modeling tool and includes support for all standard UMLdiagrams. It runs on any Java platform and is available in ten languages. See the feature list for more details:
- All 9 UML 1.4 Diagrams supported
- Platform Independent: Java 5+
- Click and Go! with Java Web Start
- Standard UML 1.4 Metamodel
- UML Profile support with profiles provided
- XMI Support
- Export Diagrams as GIF, PNG, PS, EPS, PGML and SVG
- Available in ten languages - EN, EN-GB, DE, ES, IT, RU, FR, NB, PT, ZH
- Advanced diagram editing and Zoom
- OCL Support
- Forward Engineering
- Reverse Engineering / Jar/class file Import
More about ArgoUML: ArgoUML
AmaterasUML - AmaterasUML is an Eclipse plug-in for drawing UML class-diagram, and UML sequence-diagram.
More about AmaterasUML: AmaterasUML
Acceleo - Acceleo is a code generator transforming models into code (MDA approach).
Acceleo is easy to use. It provides "off the shelf" generators (JEE, .Net, Php...) and template editors for Eclipse.
More about Acceleo: Acceleo
Jink-uml - Plan out your program in a UML-like fashion. Jink allows you to go "into" any node on the graph by zooming into it with the mouse-wheel. Once inside the node, you can make an entirely new graph. This is like adding a 3rd dimension to the canvas.
Note: Jink can be used for planning out other things besides programs. It can be used to formulate any grand ideas that may be dwelling in your head!
- export as source code so that you'll have a full template for your project.
- smoothly navigate into and out of nodes.
- some special nodes like Links and Media
More about Jink-uml: Jink-uml
Violet - Violet is a UML editor with these benefits:
- It is very easy to learn and use
- It draws nice-looking class, sequence, state, object and use-case diagrams
- It is completely free (includes source, distributed under the GNU General Public License)
- It is cross-platform
- Rational Rose
- The free ArgoUML and its commercial cousin Poseidon
Here are some of the features that industrial-strength UML programs have and that Violet does not have
- Code generation. Violet does not generate any source code from UML diagrams.
- Reverse engineering. Violet does not generate UML diagrams from source code
- Semantic checking of models. You can use Violet to draw contradictory diagrams
- XMI export or import. Violet does not generate files that can be imported into other UML tools, nor can it read model files from other tools
More about Violet: Violet
Astade - Astade, a UML tool for the complete C or C++ development process.
- Drawing tool for use case diagrams
- Drawing tool for component diagrams
- Drawing tool for sequence diagrams
- Code generator for C++
- Code generator for C (e.g. for implementing Linux kernel drivers)
- Input dialogue for statecharts
- Code generator for statecharts
- Automatic generated class diagramms
- Build in trace tool for generating sequence diagrams
- IDE for compiling and debugging
- Works with any code editor
- Automatic code generation for constraints
- Automatic code generation for member initialisation
- Interface to wxGlade for GUI development
- Interface to Doxygen for documentation
- Interface to repositories (SVN, GIT, MKS)
- Available for Windows and Linux operating system
More about Astade: Astade
Umbrello UML Modeller
Umbrello UML Modeller - Umbrello UML Modeller is a Unified Modelling Language diagram programme for KDE. UML allows you to create diagrams of software and other systems in a standard format. Our handbook gives a good introduction to Umbrello and UML modelling.
More about Umbrello UML Modeller: Umbrello UML Modeller
UMLet - UMLet is an open-source UML tool with a simple user interface: draw UML diagrams fast, export diagrams to eps, pdf, jpg, svg, and clipboard, share diagrams using Eclipse, and create new, custom UML elements.
UMLet runs stand-alone or as Eclipse plug-in on Windows, OS X and Linux.
More about UMLet: UMLet
ArchE - ArchE ia an Architecture Expert Design Assistant
The SEI Architecture Expert (ArchE) tool is a design assistant that helps architects explore architectural designs driven by quality attributes. ArchE shows the architect proposals for improving the current architecture and allows the architect to decide on the best alternative.
More about ArchE: ArchE
Open ModelSphere - Free Software Tool for Conceptual and Relational Data Modeling,
Business Process Modeling and UML Modeling
Open ModelSphere is a powerful free data, process and UML modeling tool / software. Open ModelSphere covers conceptual and logical data modeling as well as physical design, i.e. database modeling (database modelling). It supports several notations, e.g. Entity-Relationship, DATARUN and Information Engineering. Conceptual models can be converted to relational models and vice versa.
More about Open ModelSphere: Open ModelSphere
StarUML - StarUML is an open source project to develop fast, flexible, extensible, featureful, and freely-available UML/MDA platform running on Win32 platform. The goal of the StarUML project is to build a software modeling tool and also platform that is a compelling replacement of commercial UML tools such as Rational Rose, Together and so on.
More about StarUML: StarUML
BOUML - open-source, UML 2.0, Java, C++, IDL, HTML documentation generation
import Rational Rose, high performance
More about BOUML: BOUML
Ameos - Supports MDA, UML 2.0 Profiles, generates C, C++, Ada, Java
More about Ameos: Ameos
Best Open Source CASE Tool
Best Open Source CASE Tool
Cookies must be allowed to vote
Cookies must be allowed to vote